Friday, December 27, 2019

The Second Surprise on the "Pilgrimage"


One highlight of the conference is a daily tour to Jerusalem, the center of the Holy Land. For Christians, this is where Jesus was crucified and resurrected. For Muslims, this is where Muhammad journeyed to Heaven. And for Jews, this is where the Temple of Solomon stood. As the crossroads of three great religions, Jerusalem is the closest place on Earth to Heaven for so many people.

I am not religious, but regardless, it will be a wonderful experience to witness. I expected to head to the airport right after the tour and take an 11PM flight back to DC. Then it came, the second surprise.

Everything was exotic for me in the old city of Jerusalem. After hopping off the coach, we were immersed in the joyful celebration of Bar Mitzvah, a Jewish coming-of-age ritual for boys when they turn to 13 years old.

Bar Mitzvah at the Western Wall in Jerusalem (Source: Google)

(A video I recorded in front of Dung Gate in the Old City)

Following the flow of people, we trekked to the Western Wall. For a moment, I had the illusion of being in China: the square was swarming with people.


Square at the Western Wall
Everywhere was people: school boys singing the Song of Songs, Jewish families around the world celebrating bar mitzvah, pious believer praying to the Wall, and tourists eating and shopping around. The music, the attire, the religious zenith, the emotional singing, all happened at the Western Wall. I was overwhelmed and decided to find a quiet corner for rest.

The second surprise

I took out my phone. A new text message emerged: "Your flight to Washington DC is cancelled. Please contact the customer service of United Airline", and the reason was  simply that pilots cannot come. There was no further notice, email or message, about what I should do or whether I will be arranged to another flight. No more information.

I have encountered domestic flight cancellation or the delayed departure of international flight. As a loyal customer to United Airline over 16 years, I have never experienced an cancellation of an overnight international flight. My experience told me that I should call United as soon as possible.

After the tour guide brought us to the Arabic quarter for lunch, I hasted to find a Wi-Fi spot. Leaning back the front door of the restaurant, I held my phone to the ear, resignedly waiting to be connected to a human voice from the United service center. One minute, two minutes, five, ten, ..., fifteen minutes passed, I was still waiting in vain. Thanks to the Old City, the waiting was not so intolerable. The Arabic alleys are rich with sights, sounds, and experiences that reward the curious travelers. The shops were jammed, and the energy was exhilarating. Simply people-watching can yield the most fascinating cultural insights.

A store near our restaurant, selling spices

the Jerusalem bread, Matzah

When
the group finished lunch, my problem was still not solved. I cannot hold the whole group waiting for me, that means, I have to leave the wi-fi spot and cut off the call. Thus, I pleaded the customer service to call me back once he finds a not-so-bad solution -- at that moment the 'best' alternative route is to leave Tel Aviv one day later, which I was reluctant to take.

The following tour was about the Via Dolorosa, the route it's believed Jesus walked as he carried the cross. We would retrace the 14 stations of the cross, like what pilgrims do, and end the Pilgrim's journey in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Throughout the route, I was badly hung up on the flight cancellation.

Mural in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre

I didn't hear much what our tour guide said, except some repetitive words, "holy of holy", "the most important church", "the most sacred site", etc. He said the lives of many Christians are divided into two parts, the one before visiting this church and the one after it. For me, my mood was divided into before knowing flight cancellation and afterwards. The problem was eventually solved by taking a 5:20AM flight and arriving home 12 hours later than initially planned, but my uneasiness and disappointment persisted.

It was the optimistic words from other conference participants that eventually warmed me up. Mete said, "well, this is at least better than you have to leave to the airport right now." You are right. If so, my experience in Jerusalem would be significantly shortened. I was unhappy since I couldn't go home as expected, but if changing a benchmark, it was indeed not too bad. Other people offered a variety of kindnesses from suggestions, jokes, to soothing words. Yaron even helped me fulfill my last wish in Israel, to have one more cup of pomegranate juice!




Many of these people only got to know me for the first time at this conference. Yet they generously shared with me their great kindness and valuable help, which uplifted my spirit. Thinking of this, spending the night till 5AM at the airport did not seem so miserable. What I didn't know at that moment was the third surprise awaiting ahead.



Photographed by Jennie Bai.

Copyright ©Jennie Bai. All Rights Reserved.


More stories:
--The First Surprise on the "Pilgrimage"
--The Third Surprise on the "Pilgrimage"


No comments: