Wednesday, December 25, 2019

The Third Surprise on the "Pilgrimage"


7:00PM Hilton Beach, Tel Aviv
I arrived at the Tel Aviv airport around 7pm. Knowing that I was re-scheduled to a one-stop flight at 5:20AM, I still want to try my luck -- maybe I could catch the 12:20AM non-stop flight to Washington DC. I tried three times throughout the day, all in vain, always receiving the same answer: the flight I wanted was sold out.

No United customer service exists at the airport. The original 11:20PM flight was officially cancelled. Some passengers got automatic arrangements, for example, transferring in DC then heading to their destinations. Some were told to take a next-day flight. More people had no idea of what to do. Finally, United check-in desks opened at 9:20PM, however these are for the check-in service to the 12:20AM flight. United reserved one line to handle passengers of the cancelled flight.  Worry and frustrations were written on the faces of the people in this sluggish line; it sometimes took 10 minutes to handle one person's flight modification.

I was in this line, restless for the unknown outcome. I entertained myself by observing people. I always enjoy observing people.

7:30PM, Independence Park, Tel Aviv
"Sir, it is not your turn yet. You need to wait in that line. " A United clerk stopped one anxious passenger trying to cut in, "You see that lady, she has already waited for a long time. It is her turn next."

Following the clerk's pointing, I noticed a women quietly standing there, waiting. She was not attractive or energetic. She actually looked a little worn out. I observed she had a short conversation with the clerk, no arguing, no grumbling, she simply accepted the clerk's suggestion and stepped away to wait in her seat. When it finally came to my turn, I was told again that the later flight departing at 12:20AM has no availability, but if I wanted to try my luck, I could come back and check around 11:30.

In the following two hours, I ran across that quiet lady twice and we even briefly exchanged information about the flight updates.  Around 11:15PM, we both got back to the seats near the United desk. I was exhausted from getting up at sunrise and having a whole day tour in Jerusalem.

5:30AM, Hilton Beach, Tel Aviv
" Hi, it is a long day!" I tried to initiate a chat across three empty red seats from that lady. "Where are you going? "

"Charlotte, North Carolina." She turned to me, answering with a poker face.

"Mine is to Washington DC. You know, many people in this cancelled flight were arranged to take the 12:20AM flight and transfer in DC. But their destinations are Houston, San Francisco, and other cities, while my destination is DC but I was not arranged. This is not fair."

"My other friends were also automatically arranged by United since the cancellation notice at 10AM. But I was not arranged either. Now I need to transfer twice, first in Amsterdam and then Chicago before going home. Hopefully I can get in the 12:20AM flight then I can avoid the 22-hour two-stop journey," She said calmly.

"This is not fun! How come you are not angry? You seem not disturbed at all." I couldn't hold back my curiosity that had grown in the past two hours while observing her.

"Well, there is nothing we can do. It simply happens." She smiled to me then got back to her computer.

I got back to my computer too, -- I was sketching a referee report. But after a few minutes, I cannot help but speak to her again, "Do you mind if I ask you a question? If you were almost hit by a reckless driver while crossing the road, what would you do?" -- in the past six months, I was almost hit by a car while as a passenger, I have the full right on the crosswalk. This happened twice, making me very angry, thus I googled online hoping to find a solution to handle/punish reckless drivers.

"I will pray for them." She replied.

"Pray? In a situation where they almost take away your life, you pray for them? Pray for what?" It was hard for me to believe my ears.

"I would pray that they will not hurt others. Also, it is only "almost", it didn't actually happen. I understand. I appreciate them for not hitting me."

Seeing my puzzling eyes, she moved across three empty seats and sat next to me, "God told us that he will never leave us. We are at his hand, thus I have no fear, no complaint. I don't need to worry what will happen to me. God is wise enough and I give myself to him."

Oh. My. God. It seemed I had encountered a genuine Christian. Was this because I showed no understanding or interest during the Pilgrimage journey since I had been so distracted by the flight cancellation? Then God sent his messenger to make my Israeli trip a pilgrimage?


We then started a conversation about how to face unfair treatments in life. She earnestly showed me God's words online. The ones most relevant and inspiring for me are below:

He who is devoid of wisdom despises his neighbor, but a man of understanding holds his peace. -- Proverbs 11:12
Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you. - Hebrews 13:5
6:00AM, Hilton Beach, Tel Aviv

While we were having the interesting spiritual dialogue, we were called up by the United clerk. It turned out that she, me, and a third man, we three can be arranged to the 12:20AM flight to Washington DC.

"He didn't leave you. He answered you!" I happily said to her. "Me too! Thank you for sharing all this with me!"

We got the boarding pass and ran all the way to the terminal gate. We were the last two passengers, the two most cheerful ones full of appreciation for the unexpected gift! Before boarding, she handed me a note with her name, email, and phone number, "Mya Florence," She cordially said, "if you have any question, please feel free to contact me. I wish you all the best!"

This is the third and last surprise on my trip to Israel. I ended up arriving in DC at 6AM, which was even four hours earlier than my initial flight which has to transfer in NYC.

It is truly like what the tour guide had said, many people's lives are divided into the one before the trip to Jerusalem and the one afterwards. So is my life.

Thank you, Mya!


6AM (black and white), Hilton Beach, Tel Aviv


Photographed by Jennie Bai.

Copyright ©Jennie Bai. All Rights Reserved.


PS: in case you are curious what I found in Google, below is the question in Quora and trimmed answers by me:

"What are some ways to avenge a reckless driver who cut me off, almost hit me, and insulted and showed me and everyone his middle finger?"
Answer One:
Let it go. If you’re old enough to drive, you are old enough to understand this will happen, and you need to be mature and let it go. Most people feel a rush of annoyance, and let it go.... Turn on the radio, and just let it go. You’ll feel better. Clinging to anger will never make you happy. Learn to smile and forget driving issues.

Answer two:
Forget it. There was no actual harm done, other than bruised pride.

This is not the last time something like this is going to happen to you. Embrace it, learn from it, and move on. If you're having trouble letting it go, do what I do - take a moment to reflect on the blessing in your life: kids, family, pets --whatever it is--think about it and be thankful.

Answer three:
The way I'd suggest is to bless him instead. If you're a believer in the law of every action reaps reaction, you can leave this incident unreacted. By reacting negatively, you're in affect, activating the boomerang effect that's going to hit you. Remember an old saying "love your enemy"? Well, that loving your energy never aim to serve your enemy but to benefit you. So forgive and let go.



PPS:  Before leaving Tel Aviv, the security check will ask at least 10 questions about your everyday activity and your personal background. While I was questioned, I heard the dialogue three feet from me.

Q: "Why did you visit Turkey?"
A: "family trip."

Q: "With whom?"
A: "My wife and kids."

Q: "How many kids do you have?"
A: "XX".

Q: "What do you do?"
A:"I am an CEO of a software company?"

Q: "Which company?"
A: "Quora."




Photographed by Jennie Bai.
Copyright ©Jennie Bai. All Rights Reserved.


More stories:
--The Second Surprise on the "Pilgrimage"
--The First Surprise on the "Pilgrimage"


No comments: